I’m eighteen! Over the course of my two-week vacation, I ate three chocolate lava cakes, opened a few presents, paid $5 for a siggi’s, ate a 7-course dinner, did not buy a lottery ticket, and visited an organic farm called O’o (more on that in my next post). That’s not all that I did, but a few of the highlights.
Mom and Dad are going to kill me for posting this picture of them. :) . . . My favorite restaurant in the world is Spago on Maui. I celebrated my sweet 16 at Spago, and now my 18th as well. If my dreams come true, I’ll celebrate many more birthdays on Maui.
My family has ordered the tasting menu both times, which is accompanied with the best service I’ve ever had. The waiters at Spago are attentive, but not hawk-like. They share in your conversation, but only if you want them to. Matthew, our waiter, talked to us about his culinary school experiences. At the end of the meal he even snagged me a kitchen tour, restaurant recommendations, and surprise truffles when I returned from the bathroom! Highly recommended.
For those of you who are interested, my calorie-free 7 courses:
1. Spicy Ahi Tuna “Poke” in Sesame-Miso Cones, Chili Aioli, Tosa Soy, Bonito, Green Onions, Tobiko and Pickled Ginger (Classic, must-order, adorable, fun, conversation piece)
2. Kona Coast Kampachi Ceviche, Meyer Lemon Soy, Tomato-Ogo Relish, Seaweed and Kula Onion Salad (Favorite!)
3. White Kula Corn Risotto with Sweet Maine Shrimp, Roasted Kula Corn, Garlic, Thyme, Kula Herbs, and Parmigiano-Reggiano (Perfectly Al Dente)
4. Fish Duo – Steamed Hawaiian Hapu’upu’u “Hong Kong” Style, Ginger, Chili, Garlic, Carrots, Baby Bok Choy (Oops, maybe this was my favorite)
Thai Seafood & Pineapple-Coconut Red Curry, Opakapaka, Onaga, Galangal, Kaffir Lime, Thai Basil, and Green Papaya Salad (The sauce was perfect)
5. Grilled “Chinois” Style Colorado Lamb Chops, Hunan Sweet & Sour Eggplant, Sweet Peas, and Chili-Mint Vinaigrette (We were told that our lamb “started on grass and was finished on corn,” which immediately made the table stifle laughter and smile. Also, both parents admitted to LOVING this eggplant – a small miracle.)
6. Fruit Smoothie of Papaya, Coconut, and Strawberry, (Made special for me ;) )
7. Molten Chocolate Lava Cake with Homemade Banana Ice Cream, squiggly “Happy Birthday” on the side
I didn’t take pictures of every course because I didn’t want to interrupt the conversation and spontaneity of my meal. If you’re interested in pictures, I bet Google will end your curiosity. From the expensive sparkling water to the behind-the-scenes kitchen tour, Spago represents chef Wolfgang Puck incredibly well. If I could only have one birthday gift, I would definitely choose this dinner!